L298N Full Bridge Motor Driver IC ZIP-15
L298N is a high power version of L293 motor driver IC. It is a high voltage, high current, dual full-bridge driver designed to accept standard TTL logic levels (Control Logic) and drive inductive loads such as relays, solenoids, DC and Stepper motors. Two enable inputs are provided to Enable or disable the device independently of the input signals. The emitters of the lower transistors of each bridge are connected together and the corresponding external terminal can be used for the connection of an external sensing resistor.
Features and Specifications
– Operating voltage range: +5 to +46V
– Maximum supply voltage: 50V
– Maximum Input and Enable Voltage: +7V
– Maximum current allowed to draw through each output: 3A
– TTL control inputs
– Total power dissipation: 25W
– Operating temperature: -23°C to 130°C
– Storage Temperature: -40°C to 150°C
Where to Use L298 IC?
Here are few areas where L298 is preferred:
– L298 is basically used where H- BRIDGE is required.
– Where a high power motor driver is required. In the marked there are H-bridges like L293 which are used for low powered application while L298 is specially designed for high power applications.
– Where current control and PWM operable single chip device is needed.
– The chip is preferred when control unit can only provide TTL outputs
– Also the chip does not need any additional components to be installed for operating.
How to Use L298 IC
For understanding the working of L298 IC, consider the simple circuit configuration shown below.
Here we are using one of H-BRIGES of l298 IC. As shown in circuit we have two push buttons Q1 and Q2 which act as controls inputs for bridge-A. These logic inputs are provided by Microcontroller or Microprocessor in application circuits. The four diodes are FLYBACK diodes used for protecting the IC form inductive voltage spikes. The enable pin is pulled high through a resistor so bridge-A will be functioning all the time. If it’s pulled to ground the bridge-A will be disabled no matter the input control logic.
– Robotic arms
– Relay drivers
– Vending machines.
– Industrial machines.
– Engineering systems.
– Measuring instruments.
– Hobby projects.
1 x L298N IC