RGB Color Sensor with IR Filter TCS34725
Your electronics can now see in dazzling color with this lovely color light sensor. We found the best color sensor on the market, the TCS34725, which has RGB and Clear light sensing elements. An IR blocking filter, integrated on-chip and localized to the color sensing photodiodes, minimizes the IR spectral component of the incoming light and allows color measurements to be made accurately. The filter means you’ll get much truer color than most sensors, since humans don’t see IR. The sensor also has an incredible 3,800,000:1 dynamic range with adjustable integration time and gain so it is suited for use behind darkened glass.
We add supporting circuitry as well, such as a 3.3V regulator so you can power the breakout with 3-5VDC safely and level shifting for the I2C pins so they can be used with 3.3V or 5V logic. Finally, we specified a nice neutral 4150°K temperature LED with a MOSFET driver onboard to illuminate what you’re trying to sense. The LED can be easily turned on or off by any logic level output.
Connect to any microcontroller with I2C and our example code will quickly get you going with 4 channel readings. We include some example code to detect light lux and temperature that we snagged from the eval board software.
- Integrated IR blocking filter
- 3.8M:1 dynamic range
- Four independent analog-to-digital converters
- A reference channel for color analysis (clear channel photodiode)
- Minimizes IR and UV spectral component effects to produce accurate color measurement
- Enables accurate color and ambient light sensing under varying lighting conditions
- Minimizes motion/transient errors
- Clear channel provides a reference which allows for isolation of color content
Supply Voltage [V]: 3.3V
Color Sensor Channels: RGBC
IR Blocking Filter: Yes
Temperature Range [°C]: -40 to 85
Full Tutorial Example
Full Arduino Library
1 x RGB Color Sensor with IR filter LED TCS34725